Tyne Met earn back to back victories with win at Bishop Burton

Tyne Metropolitan College first team made the long journey to Bishop Burton hoping to build on the victory at Barnsley in their previous match.

With the pitch in perfect condition and in an eventful affair Tyne Met won by the odd goal in five.

The first 20 minutes looked as if the sides were cancelling each other out with Tyne Met sitting deep and playing on the break.

After 25 minutes the first goal arrived when a free kick from Paul Dunn was cleared as far as skipper Jake Mitchell, who clipped a clever pass wide to Ciaran Fleming whose superb touch took him past his man. He then slid a reverse pass into Regan Paterson and under pressure he stepped over the ball to give Joe Walton an easy two-touch finish.

Tyne Met dominated the next 15 minutes, capitalising on some loose passes by the home team and they should have been out of sight as Jack Cooper, twice, Paterson and Joe Walton all squandered good chances to double the lead.

As it turned out, a rare attack during that period produced an equaliser from Bishops when a left wing cross was finished by the opposing striker right on half-time.

Paterson’s superb touch and delivery from the left at the start of the second half was not taken advantage of and the danger was cleared.

The game then erupted when a Bishop’s forward took exception to Jack Hogg’s late tackle and a scuffle ensued with two players from each side receiving yellow cards.

This episode seemed to affect the home side as they lost concentration and composure allowing Tyne Met to start controlling the game again.

On 55 minutes Tyne Met deservedly went in front with a set-piece straight from the training ground which caught the home side cold resulting in Reece Harrison firing into the net.

Shortly after another corner nearly produced another goal when Paterson’s shot was handled but with nothing was given and the play moved on to Cooper who unleashed a fierce left-footed drive which the keeper brilliantly tipped onto the underside of the bar and the three waiting players ready to tap-in but were offside so Bishop’s survived.

However, on 72 minutes substitute James Proctor ran onto a defence splitting pass by Dunn to slot past an exposed keeper to make it 3-1.

It was relatively comfortable for Tyne Met until another Bishop’s goal four minutes from time made for a nervy ending, but with nothing of note happening an entertaining game finished with Tyne Met taking the points.

Captain Jake Mitchell said: “Thoroughly enjoyed the game and the lads worked extremely hard to get a result.

“We scored some great goals and defended really well so it’s pleasing to travel a long way and win the game.