Victory for Terriers in FA Cup

Share this article

GOALS from Ian Graham, Dean Douglas and Steven Richardson, as well as an early own goal saw Bedlington Terriers win comfortably in the FA Cup at Welfare Park on Saturday.

Newcastle Benfield midfielder Kenneth Boyle put the ball into his own net in the twelfth minute, powering it past his own keeper in an attempt to stop the mazy run of Douglas in the box.

Three minutes before half time Graham made it 2-0, as the lone striker made Benfield pay for some seriously slack defending.

Douglas made it three, rounding the keeper with ease, before Richardson completed the scoring moments before full time after a run from Mark Convery.

Terriers management Keith Perry and Tony Lowery will take plenty of encouragement from the performance of their side, finding four goals without the help of top goalscorer Anthony Shandran.

Benfield failed to make any real impact on the game, with only half chances falling their way.

Craig Hubbard, recently signed to the Terriers from Spennymoor, made his debut for the home side and clearly revelled in his new role.

The centre midfielder was given plenty of room to roam, and was key to much of the Terrier’s midfield dominance.

It was winger Douglas who caused the most threat early on in the game, with a strong run into the box paying off as Boyle slammed the ball past his own keeper.

Benfield conceded again shortly before half time when a long ball upfield from defender Peter Snowdon found Graham behind the centre-backs of Benfield, allowing himself enough space to get it under the reach of keeper Andrew Grainger.

The away side tried to bounce back, but were unable to stamp their authority in midfield or upfront.

But down the other end Douglas was continuing to be a handful for the Benfield defence and beat the offside trap to hit home the third after 76 minutes, rounding Grainger with ease.

As the game reached its climax, the three goals seem to have paralysed Benfield who could find no answer to Terriers who were superbly orchestrated by Hubbard, Stuart Elliot and Steven Bowey.

Even the introduction of the Benfield bench failed to spur any energy into the tiring team.

The game ended with Terriers in control when substitutes Mark Convery and Richardson linked up to complete the scoring, as Convery made a strong run down the wing before crossing the ball into box for Richardson to tap in as Benfield limped off to lick their wounds.