Walton double helps Ashington overcome Consett

A DOUBLE by Marc Walton added to a strike from Gareth Bainbridge saw Ashington rack up their ninth home win of the season against Consett at a rain drenched Woodhorn Lane on Tuesday night.

In a closely contested first period with chances few and far between, the Colliers led by a lone goal after an error by the Consett keeper.

Peter Jameson failed to control a back pass and Bainbridge took full advantage to go past the keeper to the byline where he cut the ball back for Walton – playing against his former club – to steer into the net from close range.

Harrison Davies was causing problems down the left for the Steelmen and from a pin point cross, a header from Michael Mackay was palmed out by Karl Dryden.

Only a minute later a free kick from 25 yards by Mackay was brilliantly pushed away by the home keeper.

In the second period, Walton had a shot cleared off the line before the striker applied a clinical finish on the hour to move his side into a two-goal lead.

He played the ball to Tommy English, who clipped a great return pass into the danger zone for Walton to blast home.

Midway through the period, chief tormentor Walton set up Ashington’s third.

He slipped the ball through for fellow striker Bainbridge who from 16 yards coolly fired the ball wide of substitute keeper Barry Poskett, who had replaced the injured Jameson only three minutes earlier.

However, on 72 minutes Mackay was held in the area by skipper Liam Atkin and after Wallsend-based referee David McCallum had pointed to the spot, Mackay sent Dryden the wrong way.

Consett substitute Gavin Ross clipped the bar with an effort from the right, but the home side could have added to their score when Walton was denied by Poskett and sub Mark O’Dea headed over after a cross by Matty Grieve.

The Colliers were forced to play out the last few minutes with ten men having used all of their three permitted substitutes when Michael Tait hobbled off.

However, on the plus side, Darren Lough made his first start in a black and white shirt since suffering an horrific fractured skull against Vauxhall Motors in early October.

And there was a standing ovation when Stephen Young came on to replace Andrew Dugdale, the striker making his first appearance since breaking an ankle in the 5-1 win over Jarrow Roofing five months ago.

Ashington: Dryden, Buzzeo, Lough, Dugdale (Young 81 mins), Atkin, Scott, Johnson, Tait, Walton, Bainbridge (Grieve 88 mins), English (O’Dea 78 mins). Subs not used: Godsmark, Rees. stl northern League division one