Walton double helps Terriers overcome Whickham

Action from Bedlington Terriers' 3-2 pre-season win at Whickham.
Action from Bedlington Terriers' 3-2 pre-season win at Whickham.

Marc Walton completed his second brace in two games to secure Bedlington Terriers a pre-season 3-2 win over Whickham at Glebe Sports Ground.

The striker gave the visitors the lead on 20 minutes and then doubled the advantage four minutes before half-time from the penalty spot.

Mason Stephenson restored Bedlington’s two-goal advantage after Chris Naisby pulled one back ten minutes into the second-half, and a late Mark Pattison strike could not deny Terriers the win.

The visitors went into the game having defeated Shankhouse 3-1 just two days prior.

Craig Jelley squandered a golden opportunity after only two minutes when he miss-hit his shot after Mark Fitzpatrick found a decisive pass across the six-yard box.

They may well have taken the lead moments later but Chad Collins saw his effort cleared off the line by Stephenson following a scramble in the box.

It was not until the 18th minute that Bedlington’s first chance came, Walton found Andy Ferrell at the back of the penalty area, but the player-manager side-footed his shot wide.

The contest was scrappy with the hosts were looking to get at their opponents with the long-ball game, whereas Bedlington looked to be more free-flowing.

With only their second attempt of the game the Terriers went ahead.

Walton latched upon a loose pass and after rounding the keeper he found the far corner for the net.

Keeper Dan Staples, who has been in fine form since his return, produced yet another top-draw save when he tipped Naisby’s free kick from the halfway line onto the bar.

Stephenson and Liam Hudson both managed to squander chances before Walton found himself in the action once again just before the break.

The striker was fouled in the area and rifled the spot-kick into the top-corner.

Bedlington almost found themselves going in with more of an advantage, but Hudson headed just wide and Ferrell fired inches over the bar.

A brilliant start to the second half was almost rewarded on 47 minutes as some neat one-touch football by Andy McBride and Walton allowed Ferrell to hit first-time, but Richard Heiniger tipped over.

A lapse in concentration allowed Jelley to get his shot away without any pressure, drawing a full-length save from Staples.

Whickham were then allowed back into the game with the resulting corner.

Bedlington’s failure to defend the set-piece from Collins allowed Naiby to tap-in at the back-post.

Hudson was causing problems all evening for the Whickham full back, and after skipping past a challenge he found McBride, but the forward’s touch let him down at the wrong moment.

The home side came within inches of drawing level following Kalum Broadhead’s set-piece from outside the area.

Marc Dummett linked up well with Hudson down the flank all evening and the defender floated a through ball and the forward found Stephenson entering the box. The youngster latched upon the pass and after bringing the ball down brilliantly, he fired his shot away, which the keeper could only parry it up and into the back of the net.

The game appeared to be all done and dusted given the chances Bedlington were creating, but Whickham made it a nervy close to the game after Pattison tapped home.

Frazer Nairn could only parry a third shot in a row into the path of the substitute, who scored the home side’s second.

Robin Falcus’ men came close to snatching a draw in the dying minutes, but Scott Swanson could not get his feet sorted at the back post and hit his effort wide.

Terriers: Staples (Nairn 78), Nellis, Dummett, Ferrell, Little (Gourley (T) 61), Stoneman, Stephenson, Pendlebury (Skidmore 66), Walton, McBride (Summervile (T) 73), Hudson.