Walton double in vain as Guisborough put five past Bedlington Terriers

Action from Bedlington Terriers' defeat to Guisborough Town.
Action from Bedlington Terriers' defeat to Guisborough Town.

Marc Walton bagged a brace for Bedlington Terriers but Guisborough Town scored five goals to comfortably secure the three points.

Guisborough Town 5

Bedlington Terriers 2

by Andrew McDonnell

The Terriers man had pulled the visitors back level after Curtis Round scored a superb goal, but Danny Earl and Steven Snaith added a goal each before half-time.

Earl then got his second on 67 minutes before substitute Connor Smith added a fifth late on.

Walton tucked away a penalty in injury time for his second of the game.

Bedlington’s squad went into the game rejuvenated with three new signings, two of whom started the game.

But the home side did not let their opponents settle.

Round was allowed a free run towards goal and when nobody decided to close the forward down he fired his shot straight into the top corner, giving Terriers keeper Peter Denton no chance.

Ryan Drane could have drawn Terriers level two minutes later when Walton picked out the youngster, but his effort went inches wide of the post.

Andy Ferrell’s men were unlucky to not have been awarded a penalty after the ball appeared to strike a Town player on the arm in the area, but the appeals were waved away.

Denton made a sublime fingertip save to parry Jordan Towers’ shot onto the crossbar on 16 minutes.

Bedlington then broke to the other end and levelled the scores. Drane found Walton on the edge of the area and the forward shifted the ball right and fired into the bottom corner.

Terriers started to find their feet, however, they were only level for a matter of ten minutes when Earl rounded off a good all-round attack. Round easily got past his man and once he entered the penalty area he found Earl in the centre of the box and he made no mistake with the finish.

Drane again had a chance of pulling the visitors level, but Earl then set up Town’s third goal on the stroke of half-time. The striker's shot was parried by Denton only to see Snaith bury the rebound.

Bedlington were the first to go close in the second half, Walton’s strike was parried into the danger area but Drane could not react quick enough as a defender cleared.

With their first chance of the half Guisborough found their fourth of the game, all but ensuring the three points when Earl got his second . Town caught their opponents once again pressing for a goal, Round pulled back across the box and Earl fought off his own man to fire past Denton.

Smith almost made it five under a minute later when Earl dispossessed Marc Dummett inside his own half, but the forward scuffed his shot and the keeper saved easily.

Bedlington produced a moment of magic eight minutes from time when Ferrell received the ball back from Walton outside the home side’s box. The midfielder, who showed his class when he came on, tried to place his shot across the keeper but the effort went inches wide.

Things got worse for the visitors when Guisborough opened them up again with another break and Smith piled on more disappointment with a neat finish. The substitute hit his shot first-time, looping the ball up and over the keeper and defender on the line and into the bottom corner moments after Dummett produced a goal-saving challenge.

Walton converted a penalty a minute into injury time after new signing Tony Stephenson drew a foul in the penalty area, but it was too little too late for the visitors.

Bedlington now have two games in the next week, both at Welfare Park, as Bishop Auckland are the visitors on Wednesday evening and Washington on Saturday afternoon.

Terriers: Denton, Pendlebury, Dummett, Anjos, Capewell, Errington, M Stephenson (Ferrell 62), King, Walton, Benjamin, Drane (T Stephenson 62). Subs not used: Nairn, McFadden, Stoneman.