Whitley Bay A now in pole position for Alliance title

Share this article

IT is advantage Whitley Bay A in the Northern Alliance premier division title race after their 3-0 success at rivals Harraby CC.

The Seahorses brought Iain Lee off the bench and he repaid them with a second-half double, heading in the opener and tucking the second away after a defensive mix-up.

Chris Bainbridge chipped in the third from 35-yards in the last minute.

Heaton Stannington’s hopes took a dent as they went down 3-2 to Gateshead Rutherford at Grounsell Park.

Graeme Troughton fired in twice for the visitors before Michael Waggett pulled one back. Heaton were then reduced to ten men and Yanis Galas added a third for Rutherford.

Joe Fulcher made them sweat a bit with a second with four minutes to go, but with keeper Rob MacGregor earning the plaudits for some stunning saves, Rutherford ensured that it remains red hot at the bottom of the table too.

Carlisle City’s Dan Bulman poked in from close range after just two minutes against Ponteland United and Mark Graham lashed in the second from 20 yards just after the interval. Tom Lucock tucked away the third following a fine team move by the Sky Blues..

Ashington Colliers had Sean Gibson, Joe Moscrop, Marc Richardson and Michael Hogg on target in their win over Shankhouse and Stocksfield came from behind twice to earn a point against Seaton Delaval.

Trevor Benjamin and Abubaker Salim netted for the Red Devils with Chris Fairless and a deflected Steve Forster drive making up the griffins’ tally.

Killingworth’s Michael Bowman was left cursing the crossbar as he rattled it four minutes from time in an end-to-end goalless draw with Blyth Town.

Amble United were just two minutes from claiming the division one silverware when the unlucky Josh Hay headed into his own net.

Sean Taylor gave the Seasiders the lead at Wallington, but Ben Fenwick levelled with a free kick.

Hay fired in and it looked like his goal was going to lead to a champagne celebration – until he was left red-faced with his late own goal.

Chris Ritson hit the only goal of the game for Newcastle Uni against Forest Hall and Gosforth Bohemians top Group B of the Subsidiary Cup after a 4-3 win over Morpeth Sporting.

Iain Harris got two, with Steve Leonard and Nick Thompson netting the others for Bohs while Ron Haney struck twice and Jamie Hutchinson also netted in reply.

Chris Mann and Rob Nolan scored for division two leaders Red House Farm as they closed in on the title with a 2-1 success over Alnwick Town Reserves. Reagan Turnbull pulled one back.

Hexham are breathing down their necks and blew a sigh of relief after a hard-fought 2-1 win over hugely-improved bottom side Cramlington United.

Liam Heenan and Gavin Cox scored for the Tynedale outfit with Andrew Hayles firing home for United.

Dan Alexander struck twice for Alston for the second week running but goals from Swalwell’s Danny Hodgson, and an own goal, pegged the Cumbrians back while neighbours Northbank won 4-2 at Seaton Burn. Chris Baker and Green scored for the home side.

New Fordley were ahead twice against Harton & Westoe with goals from Lee Waugh and Craig Dunn but they were held to a draw with replies from Steven Graham and a late Owen Peterson leveller.

Matty Donkin and Jimmy Anderson were the North Shields Athletic marksmen against Willington Quay Saints, who picked up a point as Stephen Cape bagged a double in reply.