Blyth prove too strong for Consett

Share this article

Blyth were forced to make a few changes from the side that had won against Gosforth the previous week as they hosted Consett on Saturday.

Fit again Stu Browne was brought in to the front row, Conner Rodgerson returned at full-back and there was a debut for wing Liam Allen.

Consett scored within five minutes when they stretched the Blyth defence on the left wing with a two-man overlap. The try was converted giving visitors a seven point lead.

Blyth immediately raised their game and were soon rewarded with a penalty by John Kelly and then a well executed switch move put Allen in for his first try as they took a 10-7 lead.

They went further into the lead when Martin Stephen drove over the line to make it 15-7.

The Consett threequarters always looked dangerous and they moved the ball wide and found the space and speed to run in their second try, with the conversion making the score 15-14.

Several infringements in the Consett red zone then led the referee to sin bin the visiting fly-half.

Blyth tried to capitalise before half-time and were only able to score a penalty via Kelly.

In the second half Blyth came out strong, with some direct running from forwards and backs .

Blyth were playing top class rugby and it did not take long before the home side scored their third try from winger Jonny Grey and then their fourth and bonus point try by their No. 8 Wayne Davie after some excellent forward support play. This try was converted to give Blyth a 30-14 lead.

Consett who raised their game in the last quarter and scored two tries.

But Blyth were also not finished with Adrian McKeown making an excellent break, side-stepping the full-back to score a great solo try.

Then in the last minute Steven Long broke from the back of the line and was driven over the try line by his forwards. The score was converted by Kelly to make the final score 42-26 to Blyth.

A further bonus point and four out of four wins.

This weekend Blyth are away to Novocastrians.