Dobey shows his class with title win

A turnout of 60 saw PDC player Chris Dobey win the Dek and Audrey Wanless Memorial darts trophy.

Dobey showed what he is capable of with some great displays throughout the day on his way to winning the men’s title.

He beat dad Gordon in the last 16 after being behind in the game, then in the quarter-finals he saw off Ian Dawson and then Paul Williams in the semi.

Ryan Joyce also threw some great darts during the day, even missing double 12 for a nine-dart game. He beat Phil Borthwick, Dave Prins, and in the semi-final Yogi Young.

The final was to be Dobey’s, winning 4-0 to pick up the £300 first prize with a winning average of 33.40 per dart.

The ladies’ final was won by Ann Marie Potts with a win over Kelly Curran. Beaten semi-finalists were Claire Stainsby and Evelyn McClean.

In the Ian Whillis Memorial competition on Monday night, Alan George, Anth Skelton, Paul Williams and Shaun Woodford battled it out for the two finals night places.

The first two legs between George (20 darts) and Skelton (18) were shared.

George took a 3-1 lead in hard fought games then Skelton replied in a 21-dart leg before George claimed victory with a 16-dart winning game.

The second final was a game that Williams was not going to give up at any cost to a worthy opponent in Woodford as he took an 18-dart game, which he followed up with a 21-dart leg and left no one in doubt about his ability with 16 and 15-dart winning legs to qualify for the finals.

Thursday night’s Mark Williams Memorial competition saw Andy Lynn, Joe Gaffney, Paul Bell and Arthur Dobey fighting it out for the two qualifiers spots on the night.

Lynn took the first leg with scores of 135, 137 and checking out on 86 with a bullseye in 18 darts. Scores of 81, 100, 140, 140 and double top saw Gaffney on level terms with a 15-dart leg.

Then 140, 83 and 134 scores in a 17-dart game put Lynn back into the lead only to see Gaffney roar back with 180, 140 and 130 shots in 17 darts.

But the experience of Lynn proved decisive, firing in two tons and a 140 in a 19-dart winning game to claim a finals night place.

The second final featured Paul Bell and Arthur Dobey with the latter taking a nervous first leg in 20 darts.

There was to be nothing nervous about the rest of the match as Dobey powered in scores of 100, 95, 140, 134 and double 16 in a 14-dart game to go 2-0 up.

Two 140s, 80 and 96 scores in a 16-dart leg put Bell back in contention, and he got the venue on its feet with a fabulous 12-dart game 140, 125, 125 and 111 check out to tie the game.

He went on to secure his place on finals night with an 18-dart winning game including 82, 180, 100 and 83 scores.

Gary Robson had the highest check out with a 164 finish.

In the Blyth Comrades Club weekly competition, week five saw another good show of entries for the two qualifying places up for grabs to the Grand Final.

The first semi-final saw Tab hunter beat Gary Reed 3-2 and Callan Rydz beat Ian Simpson 3-0.

In the final it was Hunter who made it through with a 3-0 win over Rydz.

The second semi-final saw John Young beat Gary Reed 3-2 and Callan Rydz beat Tab Hunter 3-2, and the youngster Rydz beat Young 3-0 for his place in the Grand Final.