Robson and Rydz on form in Ian Whillis Memorial

The latest round of the Ian Whillis Memorial Trophy belonged to Gary Robson and Callun Rydz.

Rydz took on Gregg Falcus in the night’s first final, and two tons and a 77 got him off to a good start.

He followed that up with a 16-dart leg including 140 and 125 scores.

A ton and 180 from Falcus in the third leg still could not stop Rydz sneaking this leg, although Falcus managed to pull one back with Rydz struggling on his doubles.

But a 92, 96 and 134 in the next leg, and no double trouble, saw Rydz take his finals night spot.

The second final featured Robson and Alan George.

Scores of 99, 60, 140, 105 and a 96 check-out gave Robson the first leg in 14 darts.

Then 99, 100, 92, and 99 in the second from George levelled the tie.

But scores of 140, 100, 97 and 85 gave Robson the lead back and he followed it up with a 19-dart game to go 3-1 up.

George hit back with a 100, 134, and 99 in a 19-dart game and then took it to a deciding leg after an 18-dart leg.

Robson was not to be denied, though, taking the final leg with 97, 140, 140, 92, and double 16 in 16 darts to claim a finals night place alongside Rydz

In week two of the Blyth Comrades Club weekly competition, another good turnout saw 25 entries.

In the first half competition, Stephen Wanless beat Simon Tate 3-1 and Allen George beat Connor Jones 3-2.

Wanless then beat George 3-2 to qualify from the first final.

The second half competition saw Matty Willis beat Callan Rydz 3-2 and PDC player Chris Dobey beat fellow PDC player Adam Hunt 3-2, who then Beat Willis 3-2 in the final.

Both Wanless and Dobey now qualify for the grand final.

In the Mark Williams Memorial, Kevin Thorburn and Alan Bell both qualified for the finals night.

Thorburn beat Greg Falcus, Andy Lynn, Jamie Martin and Gordon Dobey to make the first final, where he faced Durham lad Alan Bell, who took the spoils against Wayne George, George Davison, Alan George and Steve Wanless.

The second final also featurd Alan Bell, who this time dealt with the threat from Jimmy Blakeney, John Purcell and Paul Bell to reach the final, and once again Kevin Thorburn was in full flight against Doug Thorburn, Fish, Andy Lynn and Matty Willis.

So with Thorburn qualifying along with Bell for the second final as well as the first, both players qualified for finals night without having to play each other on the night.

Highest check-out went to John Purcell with a 118 finish.

The Shambles Open in Morpeth was won by Ryan Joyce with Gordon Dobey the runner-up.

The beaten semi-finalists were Jinky Smith and Chris Dobey.

More information can be found at