Seghill ignore season of goodwill as they send Seaham packing

Seghill's  Callum Burgess extends the home side's lead against Seaham.
Seghill's Callum Burgess extends the home side's lead against Seaham.

If visiting Seaham were expecting any early gifts from Seghill during the festive period they were disappointed as they came away empty handed from Welfare Park.

With the home team sitting several places above the visitors in the Durham Northumberland Division 3, perhaps a victory was anticipated by the home fans, but not necessarily in the convincing way with which it came.

Seghill made their intent clear as they scored the first try within two minutes through No. 14 Callum Brown.

A ruffled Seaham then seemed to be settling for a brief period but this proved to be a false dawn as Callum Burgess added to the scoring for Seghill with a try and conversion.

Around the 20 minute mark captain George Hogg made an impressive run from the halfway line and although support hovered he powered on to make the try alone.

There was then what appeared a slight glimmer of hope for the visitors shortly before the end of the first half as Davey Drinkwater went over to score for Seaham.

The conversion was missed and normal service was quickly resumed as Seghill’s Callum Burgess stretched their lead further by converting a penalty kick only minutes later.

As the first half came to a close Seghill showed no signs of easing up when No. 17 Ryan Wood scored a try which Burgess converted.

Any realistic chance of a comeback from the visitors was well and truly snuffed out within ten minutes of the restart as tries from Brown and Burgess took the score to 39-5.

With a visibly demoralised Seaham team and rampant Seghill emotions boiled over 15 minutes into the second half. After a quick word by the referee to both captains the game resumed.

Tries from Jake Armstrong, Burgess and team captain George Hogg added further to Seaham’s misery.

With Seaham’s spirit appearing to be broken as the game entered the final ten minutes, Seghill’s Aiden King entered the scoresheet.

This one-sided fixture ended 66-5 In favour of the home side, which was watched by a vocal home crowd.

Aside from a good all-round performance, Dean Bennett received praise from coach Ray Hedley for a strong individual effort.

The result was bittersweet for Seghill as coach Hedley announced that this was possibly his last in charge as he moves on to work with Northumberland’s under-21s.

He commended the performance of his young side as he looks to hand over control to Gary Miller.

Seghill play host to Hartlepool BBOB on Saturday, December 5, kick-off 2.15pm, who are sitting directly above them in the league.